4 Professional Services You Need As A Landlord In A Flood-Prone Area

If you’re a tenant who owns property in an area that is prone to flooding, it is vital that you understand how to keep your property and tenants as safe as possible. Landlords are responsible for repairs in the event of flooding, provided it was not caused by the tenant’s actions. If your rented property is in an area known to flood, you should take steps to protect the property and have a plan of action should flooding occur.  

Fortunately, there are professionals that can help you with all stages of the process, from insurance advisors that can help you get the right pre-emptive cover to repair professionals who can restore your property after a flood.  

Find A Sandbag Supplier 

Sandbags are the most common first line of defence for households facing floods. There is a range of sandbags available, but they all work in much the same way, by creating a barrier between a property’s entry points, like doors and windows, and the floodwater outside.  

While it is not your duty to supply sandbags to your tenants, it is a good idea to do so if you are aware that flooding is a possibility in the area. Most tenants in flood zones will likely have their own sandbags, but offering to provide some can be an excellent way to strengthen your relationship with your tenants and ensure that flooding is mitigated as much as possible.  

Hire A Drying Contractor 

If the worst happens and your property is flooded, it is vital to get the damage assessed and resolved as quickly as possible. You should discuss the work to be done with your tenants and pay for temporary accommodation if the home is unhabitable until work is completed.  

The first professional you will need is a drying contractor, who will be able to dry out the structure of your home and prevent further damage. You should find a contractor with the right tools and equipment to dry out the property and remove any hazardous materials. The Dantherm Group has an expert guide on the vital equipment needed to dry water-damaged properties.  

Get Loss Of Rent Cover 

If tenants are unable to live in the property for some time after a flood, it is crucial to find ways to keep your income stable. Taking out loss of rent cover can be a great way to protect your income and ensure that you don’t experience a sudden shortfall because of flooding. This insurance can also be used to pay for temporary accommodation for your tenants until the home is habitable again.  

Keep Your Garden Green 

Many properties throughout the country are paving over outdoor spaces in a bid to boost the number of parking spaces. Additional parking spaces can be a great way to drive up the value of your rental property, but if it is in a flood zone, this can have a significant impact on the chances of a property flooding.  

The more grass and greenery in your garden, the more rainfall and other water will be absorbed before it can get the chance to flood. Consider getting a gardener to design and landscape a green garden that still benefits from decent parking spaces.